Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Hating Online Only Help in Creative Suite

Perhaps I'm just getting old and crusty, or perhaps it's just lack of sleep, but I'm really not liking the way the current Creative Suite 4 products go online for help. Seriously, does this content really change so much that having offline help isn't useful? Last time I checked the Dreamweaver documentation hasn't changed all that much since Mx2004.
First of all, fat lot of good it does me when I'm on a laptop on the train. Even if I had a cellular card in my machine, which I don't, would I really want to be wasting my monthly bandwidth allotment, looking up a tag or function that I don't use frequently. Not to mention, that much of my ride is underground and out of cellular range.
My second beef is that Dreamweaver CS 4 help (F1) defaults to the Dreamweaver Support Center rather than the Dreamweaver Documentation. Sure, the link for documentation is there on the right, but it is quite hard to spot. I realize that you can change the default behavior back to point to the documentation, but again, it's not easy to find.
Most likely I'll just download the PDF versions and think very carefully before upgrading in the future. It seems to me that this is yet another case of just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.
In any event, that's my rant for the day.

Labels: , ,

posted by Luis

3 Comments:

Blogger Snouter said...

At the top of the online help is a link to download the content as a .pdf

I downloaded all of the .pdf files and put them in a folder. Solved.

11:36 AM  

Anonymous halimdiktas said...

thank you so much

11:49 AM  

Blogger dzedward said...

You can still view them locally:

Go to Window > Extensions > Connections. In the panel that pops up, click the little settings arrow at the top-right and select "Offline options". From there you can check the box for "Keep me offline".

Now you can view the help locally.

11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Template design by MLP Design
Licensed under CC-NC 3.0