Monday, January 07, 2008

IDE Survey Relevance

As I'm sure you are already aware, there is a ColdFusion IDE survey out right now.

Tired of Dreamweaver/CFEclipse/Homesite/CFStudio/Notepad? Do you wish they did more or there was something better out there altogether? Do you want Adobe to provide it? Help us help you! We want to hear your thoughts about how we can best support you and your development in ColdFusion!

Of course I want better tools! Who doesn't? The fact of the matter is that there never will be the perfect IDE for all situations. We each pick the tool that best fits us, but let's face it, the right IDE for me may not be the right IDE for you. If I'm not careful, this could degrade into a full fledged rant.

The point I'm trying to make here is that I question how useful a 7 question (26 if you consider the parts of question 5 individually) really going to be to the ColdFusion team. It seems to me that it would make sense to start with a simple survey to determine if the ColdFusion community is interested in a new ColdFusion IDE from Adobe, and what the community thinks it should cost (not that people will necessarily pay what they say they think something should be worth, but that's besides the point). Once they decide to proceed, then a second, much more detailed survey could be conducted as part of a larger requirements analysis. From there they could then narrow down the features that they intend to implement, and proceed with a standard development cycle.

Of course, I did fill the survey out, but I do have to question it's relevance. Oops, guess I did end up with a full fledged rant.

Labels: ,

posted by Luis

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Template design by MLP Design
Licensed under CC-NC 3.0